According to statistics, 86% of the population is served by municipal wastewater systems in Canada. This rate has remained stable over the past few years. Of the remaining 14%, about 12% had their own on-site wastewater treatment system and about 2% were served by systems that discharge untreated wastewater (Environment and Climate Change Canada, 2020). These indicators vary from province to province, with 46% unrelated to municipal wastewater treatment systems in Prince Edward Island compared to 10% in British Columbia, and approximately 11% in Ontario and in Quebec (ibid.).

These statistics provide arguments to organizations responsible for river basin management and other environmental groups to accuse owners of on-site wastewater treatment systems of contaminating waterways. Particularly, we often talk about high levels of fecal coliforms in the lakes and rivers due to the presence of non-compliant septic systems. Should we be concerned about fecal coliforms in the effluent from such systems? Let’s talk about it.

coliformes fécaux installation septique autonome résidence isolée

For more on this technical subject, read this DBO))Clic – Fecal Coliforms

YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BEST WASTEWATER TREATMENT SOLUTION?

Our local representatives are available to advise you and present you all our available System O)) wastewater treatment solutions.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE UNIQUE CONTENT MATCHING YOUR INTERESTS OR YOUR ROLE!

Leave a Reply